Do you have a medical insurance? If none, do you plan on getting one?
Many OFWs are wary of getting an insurance because either they don’t see the need to get one or they just don’t understand how it works. Sadly, there is a thing called “unfortunate incident” that could send you back home – and make it harder for you to go back to work again.
You can always turn to your savings, but what if you don’t have one or what you saved is not enough? In that case, you can turn to OWWA for help.
Get to Know MEDplus a Little Bit More
Sometime September 2015, the OWWA Board of Trustees approved a program allowing Overseas Filipino Workers to receive additional medical assistance from OWWA. On June 2, 2016, OWWA and Philhealth signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) implementing the Supplemental Medicinal Assistance Program for OFWs or MEDplus.
What is MEDplus?
This program aims to provide one-time medical or financial assistance for OFWs, thereby supplementing the benefits provided for by Philhealth. It is available to active OWWA and Philhealth members who are diagnosed with or subsequently hospitalized as a result of a dreaded disease, whether in the Philippines or in the country where you are working.
This program will be implemented throughout the 18 regional offices all over the Philippines. It can be availed of by OFWs themselves or qualified dependent/s in the Philippines in case of death or OFW is still abroad.
What can you get from MEDplus?
- The amount for financial assistance will not exceed P50,000 per member for one dreaded disease.
- Supplements the existing benefits of Philhealth and shall cover medical and surgical procedures for such dreaded disease. This means aside from what you can get from Philhealth, you can get an additional P50,000 medical assistance.
- Subsequent availment of financial assistance is allowed, as long as it doesn’t exceed the P50,000 limit and it will be used for the same dreaded disease originally applied for.
How can you apply for MEDplus?
You must submit the following requirements at the nearest OWWA Regional Office:
- Duly accomplished MEDplus application form
- Original copy of Philhealth Benefit Payment Notice (BPN), which shows actual payments made by Philhealth regarding your confinement or availment
- One passport-size picture
- Proof of OWWA membership contribution
- Waiver from the claimant allowing OWWA to access Philhealth records for MEDplus purposes
- Medical record and Statement of Account in case OFW is confined overseas
- Special Power of Attorney (SPA) executed by OFW if OFW is abroad and the claimant is next-of-kin.
- If OFW is dead, claimant must submit authenticated Death Certificate of OFW and marriage or birth certificate to prove relationship to the OFW
The MEDplus can be a good way to help you augment medical bills. Still, take note that claiming this benefit may take some time. This is why it is advisable to save as much as you can to make sure you have something to rely on in case of emergency or give us a call and let’s talk about how Balikbayad can help you with your cashflow needs.