Red Ribbon: Authenticating Documents at the Department of Foreign Affairs

Working overseas means earning in dollars, which also means bigger earning. This will allow you to secure a better life and future for your family because you get to earn more than usual. Apparently, the path towards greener pastures is not easy.

To begin with, applying for a job does not automatically equate to employment. You have to go through a rigid screening process to ensure that you are qualified for the job. Also, you need to submit tons of documents that will show not just who you are but also your capabilities.

Don’t take this lightly. There are employers who prefer documents that are authenticated by the country’s Foreign Affairs department, also known as red ribbon. This is to ensure that the documents submitted are authentic and zgenuine.

The question now is how does this work? 

Documents that can be Authenticated

1. Birth, Marriage, Death certificate, or Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) and/or Negative Records

– Take note that the document/s must be printed in the security paper issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority, (PSA, formerly NSO). In case the document on hand is registered with the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) within six months from date of registration, it must be authenticated by the PSA.

2. Transcript of Records (TOR) or Diploma

– If from state college or university, submit Certified True Copy from the school AND Certification, Authentication, and Verification (CAV) from the school and signed by School / University Registrar and/or the school’s authorized signatory

– If from private school, college, or university, Certified True Copy from the school AND CAV from Commission on Higher Education (CHED) where the school is located

– If for technical or vocational course, Certified True Copy from the school AND CAV from TESDS where the school is located.

– Form 137 and Diploma for Elementary and High School Level, Certified True Copy from the school AND CAV from DepEd Regional Office where the school is located

3. Medical / AIDS-Free Certificate

– Document must be certified / authenticated by the Department of Health

4. Driver’s License

– Must come with accompanying certification from LTO (Main branch only)

5. Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) issued licenses

– Must be certified / authenticated by CAAP

6. Professional License / Board Certificate or Ratings / Certifications

– Document must be certified / authenticated by the Professional Regulations Commission (PRC)

7. NBI Clearance

– The clearance issued must be in green and issued by the NBI

8. Certificate of Employment, Seminar, Training / Baptismal Certificate / Other documents issued by a private entity

– Notarized affidavit, which states factual circumstances and that the documents are considered as attachment/s

– Certificate of Authority for a Notarial Act (CANA) signed by Executive / Vice Executive Judge from the Regional Trial Court that issued the commission of the Notary Public

We only listed documents that are relevant when applying for a job overseas. For a complete list of documents that can be authenticated, please check this link

How to Process Authentication of Documents

1. Go to Authentication Services at the DFA Main Consular Services between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Aside from the Main Branch, the following DFA Consular Services can also process authentication:

  • DFA NCR-Northeast (Alimall, Cubao, Quezon City)
  • DFA NCR-East (SM Megamall)
  • DFA NCR-West (SM Manila)
  • DFA NCR-South (Alabang Town Center)

2. Fill out the application form from sections A to C. You can get a copy of the application here.

3. Proceed to the Processing Window and submit your application form and the document/s that need/s to be authenticated.

4. Pay for the corresponding fees at the cashier. Authentication fee is P100 per document, which will be released after four working days. If you want it expedited, pay P200 per document and you can get it the next working day.

Things to Remember when Claiming Authenticated Documents

  • Keep the Official Receipt. Said OR will be surrendered at the Releasing Drop Box. 
  • Present a valid ID at the Releasing Window. Check out this list of acceptable IDs by the DFA.
  • Check the document/s released to ensure that you got the right one.

What if you cannot personally process and/or claim the authentication of documents? 

That’s fine. Below is the procedure on how to process / claim authentication of documents on someone else’s behalf:

1. Present the original copy of the Special Power of Attorney from the owner of the document/s clearly indicating the name of the representative. If the owner is out the country, the SPA must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate.

2. Present a photocopy of the applicant’s valid ID with signature.

3. Submit a photocopy of the representative’s valid ID with signature.

27 Replies to “Red Ribbon: Authenticating Documents at the Department of Foreign Affairs”

  1. good day po kinukuha po ba ung SPA ng applicant kasi isa lang po ung pinagawa nung applicant para sa red ribbon then need po kc mag bigay ng SPA sa italian embassy ,pwede po ba na photo copy na lang ung ibigay sa DFA pero dala naman po ung original thank you po i hope na masagot nyo po .

    1. Hi Evangeline. We’re not sure po but it is best na dalhin ang original copy ng SPA with red ribbon for their reference.

  2. hi! I am out of the country, pede bang wala na lang SPA kung mother ko ang magpapa-red ribbon ng marriage certificate ko?……I hope..


      1. Good day po. Ask ko lang po yung 200 pesos na processing fee sabi nyo po di kayo sure na yun lang babayaran. Bakit po? May Hidden charges pa po ba pag nag pa red ribbon? Thanks in advance.

        1. Hi Jhona. Mas mabuti po na paghandaan. We don’t want to assume na may hidden charges, but it’s better to be prepared sa pera na dadalhin kapag magpapa-red ribbon.

  3. Hi po. ask lang po ako regarding orc documents paano po kung lagpas ng 1week after 3 months ko mangyayari sa documents? pwede ko pa rin ba ito iclaim po?

  4. Good day po . Nagttrabaho po ako s Malta , anu po kaya yong mga documents na kelangan galing sa employer ko para mkapag pa red ribbon .Slamat po

    1. Hello Richard. Ano po ang document na gusto niyo ipa-authenticate? May mga requirements kasi na hinihingi, depending sa document.

  5. Good day!
    Rejected po yung pina redribbon ko na coe because instead of “affidavit of employment” is “affidavit” lang ang nilagay ng RTC Legazpi, so binalik sakin ng dhl. Naayos ko na yung error and ako nalang mismo mag process sa Manila, may question is kahit saan po na DFA satellite nyo pwd ko i-process ulit?
    Thank you.

  6. Hi. Mag aask po sana ako regarding sa red ribbon na docs ko. Natatakan na ng uae embassy kasi yung certification mula DFA. Pwd ko pa rin bang magamit ulit yung na red ribbon na tor, cav at diploma ko? Or anong mabuti kong gawin? Thanks po.

    1. Hello Rita. If authenticated na po ang documents, then yes, you can use it na. Wala naman po nakalagay na “valid until ____” sa tatak, so you can reuse it.

  7. Good day po!
    Ask lang po sana ako if ano pwde gawin , para makakuha ng parental consent for marriage,, dito ako sa Saudi nag wowork and nagpa convert ako sa islam ,

    1. Hi Anne. We’re not sure with this since this involves legal matters na po. We’re not familiar with this as well.

  8. Hi goodmorning po pwede ko po ba I
    pa red ribbon ang Psa cenomar ko here in any consulate here in taiwan. Thanks and hoping for reply

  9. Hi, question lang po. Kasi nagclaim po ako sa dfa ng tor at diploma na pina authenticate ko. The problem is wala pong red ribbon na nakalagay dun sa apostille na galing sa dfa. Pati po sa mga kasabay ko kanina. Ganun na po ba talaga ngayon?

    1. Hi Geline. Did you confirm with DFA representatives kung bakit po ganun? From what we know, usually may red ribbon kapag nagpapa-authenticate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *